The official playlist of “Minuit! New York”
From Ray Charles to the Ramones, passing by Ed Sheeran and Leonard Cohen, recreate the atmosphere of the novel by exploring its official playlist!
A novel about painting
Other great artists are also mentioned : Rembrandt, Pollock, Pissaro, Renoir, Van Gogh, Matisse, etc…
The favourite painter of both Leo and Lorraine is an enigma… He decided to withdraw from the world and stop painting. Yet he was one of the major artists of the last century. During the auction at Laurie’s, the famous auction house, Lorraine tries her luck in a bid to acquire his masterpiece, The Watchman!
She looked at the bed and admired one last time the image displayed on the screen of her MacBook. The Watchman. A painting by Victor Czartoryski. No, not a, THE, painting… The American-Polish artist’s masterpiece that had marked the beginning of his second period, the so-called “metaphysical realist” period, from 1970. The painting that had made him one of the most celebrated American artists of the 20th century alongside Pollock and Warhol… A vaguely human silhouette, traced with great, furious black brushstrokes on a grey background, barely perceptible touches of green and cadmium yellow and impasto of an extraordinary red.
American pop culture is at the heart of the story
Works of fiction, as well as movies, are mentioned throughout the story! If you want to discover the unique atmosphere of New York, here are several examples.
- The Wanderers, by Richard Price (1974)
- Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison (1952)
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith (1943)
- Glamorama, by Bret Easton Ellis (1998)
- Jazz, by Toni Morrison (1992)
- Reservoir dogs, by Quentin Tarantino (1992)
- Ghost, by Jerry Zucker (1990)
- An Affair to Remember, by Léo McCarey (1957)
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s, by Blake Edwards (1961)
- Sleepless in Seattle, by Nora Ephron (1993)
- Taxi Driver, by Martin Scorsese (1976)
- Serendipity, by Peter Chelsom (2001)